Very healthful; it’ll renew you!
- One Empire Kosher chicken split and skinned (Keep a little skin for schmaltz) or
- 4 split chicken breasts, if only white meat is desired
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice (or for variation, substitue wild rice)
- 4-6 carrots, preferably organic
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- A few stalks of celery
- 1 good-sized red onion
- 1 green apple
- Half a bunch of parsley
- 2 cups brown mushrooms (preferably crimini)
- Cinnamon-preferably 2 large 6” sticks, or five short 3” sticks (or 1/4 tsp.powdered)
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. curry
- 2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 8 cups of boiling water
- A little olive oil if necessary
Rub skin on bottom of pot and lightly brown chicken and then brown uncooked rice.
Cut onion and celery and apple and brown in pot with rice and chicken.
Add a little olive oil if needed to prevent burning.
Add boiling water, cinnamon and other spices.
Add parsnips and carrots. Cover pot and simmer for one hour or until chicken falls off bone and kitchen is filled with a wonderful aroma. Remove chicken, cool and cut into small pieces and add back into soup. If necessary add more spices to taste. Add more water depending how soupy you want your chicken soup to be. Add mushrooms for a very short simmer 3-5 minutes.
Garnish with parsley. Serve in big bowls with challah, a salad and a glass of Shiraz.